Home > FAQ > Visa
About Us
    Who are we
    Why Choose US
    Meet Our Team
    Contact Us
Customer Service
    China Tours Reviews
    China Info
    City Guide
    China Travel News
    Terms & Conditions
    China Climate
    China Map
    China Photo
    Embassy & Visa
    Area Code & Zip Code
    Links & Resources

China Travel FAQ - Visa

  1. Can you give us the introduction of Chinese visa?
2. How many types of visa in china? What type of visa shall I apply for if I visit china as tourist?
3. How I can get the Chinese Visa?
4. If I visit Hong kong as a tourist, do I need visa?
5. If I visit Maocau as a tourist, do I need a visa?
6. What kind of visa should I apply for if I need to leave and re-enter mainland China?
1. Can you give us the introduction of Chinese visa?

According to the Law of the People's Republic of China Concerning the Administration of Foreigners Entering and Leaving the Country, foreign tourists must apply for visas at China's foreign affairs offices, consulates or other organizations authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A group of five tourists or more can apply for a group tourist visa. This is usually handled by a travel agency organizing groups. People coming to China from countries which have visa agreements with China (such as agreements which exempt tourist groups from visas) are treated in accordance with these agreements.
Foreigners requesting to visit Shenzhen, Zhuhai and Xiamen Special Economic Zones may apply directly to visa authorities in these zones for tourist visas to special economic zones. Foreign tourist groups from Hong Kong for a 72-hour visit to the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone are exempt from entry visas. If you want to go to Tibet for a visit you can apply for a visa only with the consent of the Tourism Administration of the Tibet Autonomous Region or any one of its foreign representative offices.
A foreigner holding the tourist visa should go to an appointed port of entry or one which is opened to foreigners, receive the examination by a frontier inspection station, submit a valid passport and visa for inspection, and fill in an entry card, entry into China is granted only after the frontier inspection has approved all the documents and stamped them with an entry seal.
A foreign tourist may travel in China within the approved period of time. If he wishes to continue the traveling in China after the approved time of his stay expires, he should apply to the local public security organ for the extension of his stay. After he has finished his travel in China, he should fill in an exit document before his visa expires and submit his documents to the frontier inspection station in a port opened to foreigners; he is allowed to leave the country only after his document is stamped with an approval seal. Visa Extensions are dealt with by the local Public Security Bureau. The period of extension varies, but if travelers hold a 30-day visa, they can expect to obtain an extension of 15 days to one month. Second extensions are rarely granted. The penalty of overstaying your visa in China is at least RMB300 per day.
A foreigner who has lost his passport in China should promptly report to the local public security organ, explain what has happened, apply to the Embassy or Consulate of his own country for an exit document with a certificate issued by the local public security organ, and go through related formalities at an entry and exit inspection department. Only then is he allowed to leave China.
A foreigner staying in China with a tourist visa is not allowed to engage in activities beyond the capacity as a tourist, such as employment, religious propaganda and illegal journalist interviewing. Violators of this stipulation will be punished.

2. How many types of visa in china? What type of visa shall I apply for if I visit china as tourist?

There are four types of transit visas in China:
1. Tourist Visa
Tourist visas are issued to foreigners who enter China temporarily for vacation, visiting family or other personal affairs. It usually requires a letter from a Chinese tour agency confirming your trip to China or a letter from a family member inviting you to visit China.
2. Business Visa
Business visas are issued to foreigners who are visiting China temporarily for business purposes. This can include research, lectures, scientific & technological exchanges. To receive a business visa, you will need an official invitation from a Chinese business contact.
3. Work Visa
Work visas are issued to foreigners who are moving to China work. The foreigner must have a position secured in China and work with their employer to file the paperwork required to receive the visa. Visa will be extended to immidiate members accompanying them to China.
4. Student Visa
Student visas are issued to foreigners who come to China for study. If you are visiting China for a conference or lectures, you should probably apply for a business visa. You will need a letter for the hosting school to receive the visa.

3. How I can get the Chinese Visa?

You can apply to the Chinese embassy or consulate in your nation for a tourist visa. You can either go to the embassy to get an application form in person or download the application form by visiting the website of the embassy or consulate. The costs and the length of time to process a visa vary from country to country
When applying for a visa, foreigners are required to answer certain questions and go through the following formalities:
A: Providing a valid passport or any document in place of a passport. Your passport (original, not a copy), which must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of travel, with at least one blank visa page (amendment pages and pages with bar codes are not acceptable for visa stamping).
B: Filling in a completed, signed Visa Application Form and handing in 2 up-to-date passport photos. The photo must be similar to the one in your passport. Only photos which are head-only, full frontal, with a white background, approximately 1-1/2" by 2" are acceptable. Cut-outs from personal photographs are not acceptable.
C: Submitting documents needed for visa application and documents which explain one's reason(s) to enter China.
For group tourist visas, a confirmation letter from a provincial tourist bureau or a government-authorized Chinese travel agency; a name list of the whole group in triplicate and one copy of the information page of each passport are required.

4. If I visit Hong kong as a tourist, do I need visa?

For Canadian and US passport holders, visa is not required for Hong Kong if your stay is less than 90 days as a tourist. For other passport holders, please consult with your nearest PRC embassy or consulate.
If you are travelling to Hong Kong first, visas for the rest of China can be obtained fairly quickly from the Visa Section, Office of the Commissioner, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, People’s Republic of China, 5/F Lower Block, China Resources Building, 26 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel of the office: ++852-25851657 OR ++852-25851680 OR ++852-25851794

1) You need to go there Monday to Friday during business hours.
2) The visa will be processed within 24 hours

Requirements to obtain a Visa in Hong Kong
A. 1 recent passport photo.
B. Passport which needs to be valid at least more than 3 months.
C. Call the office before your visit.

A China Tourist and Business (F) Visa can be obtained easily in Hong Kong. It can be obtained with the help of a travel agent but at least 3 full working days should be allowed for this procedure
5. If I visit Maocau as a tourist, do I need a visa?

Residents of the following countries would be granted visa-free entry to Macau. Passport holders of other countries not specified hereunder should apply a visa for entry admission.

The following counties are visa-free to enter Macau

A: Asia:
India, Indonesia, Japan, Lebanon, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand
B: Europe
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom
C: Africa
Egypt, Seychelles, South Africa
D: America
Brazil, Canada, Mexico, USA, Uruguay
E: Oceania
Australia, Kiribati, New Zealand, Samo

6. What kind of visa should I apply for if I need to leave and re-enter mainland China?

You need to apply for "double" or "multiple" entry Visa if you need to leave and re-entering mainland China. Please keep in mind that even when you leave for Hong Kong, Macao from mainland China, you still need to have "double" or "multiple" entry Visa.